Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Halloween Candy

Is there a better candy for Halloween?

I don't know about you, but I always loved looking at my haul and seeing the bountiful treasure of M&M's, Snickers, Milky Ways, Tootsie Pops, Almond Joys and everything else. I would map out every savory detail of the next couple of days. At that moment my mom inevitably would enter the room and tell me to choose one candy and give her the rest. For me, it was about 5 minutes of nirvana, I'd look forward to it every year.

As I mentioned in an earlier blog, the longer the sugar stays in your mouth, the worse it is for you. This makes sticky candies like caramels, and hard candies worse. Sticky candies can get caught between your teeth, and be a great picnic for the bugs (bacteria) in our mouths. Hard candies also will stay in your mouth a lot longer giving these same bugs an all morning or afternoon dining delight of sugar.

Always have your children brush their teeth, ideally for 2 minutes, before going to bed. If you think your child might be prone to tooth decay a fluoride rinse like ACT could be beneficial to be part of their daily routine.

Dr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment