Thursday, November 13, 2014

Spiders and Snakes

I'm sure most of you are wondering what do spiders and snakes have in common with dentistry.
Well, those of you who know me, know that when my wife and I had all the children at home, there were several things that they feared. One of them being spiders. I cannot tell you how many times I went into a bathroom to remove one of these creatures. I could never understand how a Daddy Longlegs could evoke so much fear into a child or adolescent. Snakes on the other hand give the willy's. I just don't like them. I would rather have bamboo shoots placed under my fingernails then be alone with a snake. Mice are in a whole different category, I don't have enough time to go there.
As you can probably guess, today's topic is fear. Why is dentistry so fearful? There's several reasons:
1. To allow someone into your mouth you have to give them total control of the situation.
2. "The Shot" Most of us if not all of us have had a painful injection (Dental Terminology 101 says never to use the word shot)
3. The sound of the "Drill", for any of us who have had dental work no other words are needed.
4. Our mind telling us it's going to hurt.
5. The dental work hurting, with newer anesthetics (Novocains) your dentist or hygienist should be able to keep your visit pain-free. More on that in a future blog.
6. White coat syndrome, just walking into a room with the "white coat" will cause an increase in blood pressure, and with it anxiety and fear.
7. Comedians and colleagues talking about root canals and painful experiences.
8. A natural fear of the unknown. A patient can't know everything going on, you're not a dentist, and the mind will put thoughts in your head like "I hope he doesn't hit a nerve," "It's going to hurt"

I feel like I'm doing David Letterman's top 10 list of why dentistry is fearful!
And the #1 reason people fear dentistry, because they haven't seen Dr. Gerosa for their dental work.

Seriously, in the next blog I will discuss what can be done to reduce dental fear and anxiety.

Have a great day,
Dr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment