Friday, November 7, 2014

The Thread of Life

I'm certain that most of you have no idea that floss is the thread of life!
It actually is; a recent article in time magazine shows that daily flossing can add years to 
your life.
http://time.com/3554702/add-years-to-your-life/

Some of you are aware that plaque build-up on your teeth can put you in higher risk of strokes, but to actually help you live longer, that's amazing.

I know that flossing is a really difficult habit to get into. When I was younger, I would floss at night time, however after children came into my life, it took everything I had to remember to brush my teeth at bedtime, let alone floss. I actually shifted my thinking and got up a few minutes earlier, and now I floss in the morning. 6 days a week. I take Sundays off, I figured if the Christian creator can take Sundays off. so can I.

What type of floss should you use? Really, it doesn't matter, the important thing is breaking up the party that the bacteria are having before there are enough of them to create a problem. What I have found on myself, is that dental tape works better. I have tight contacts and tape, though it is thicker goes between my teeth easier. Many of my patients like Glide because it's impregnated with teflon and they feel this makes it easier.

In another blog I'll go over other uses for floss, but for now try and get in the habit of flossing daily and live longer because of it.


Dr. G

No comments:

Post a Comment